2018 World Rowing Award Finalists Announced
By USRowing Staff • November 1, 2018
The 2018 World Rowing Award finalists have been selected and two hail from the United States.
U.S. Women’s National Team Assistant Coach Laurel Korholz is one of three finalists for World Rowing’s Coach of the Year Award, while Alan Robinson and the Schuylkill Navy/Head of the Schuylkill’s Zero Waste and Zero Litter “Love Where You Row” Initiative is one of three finalists for the 2018 Sustainability Award.
Korholz coached the women’s four and women’s single sculler Kara Kohler this season, with the four winning gold at the 2018 World Rowing Championships in Plovdiv, Bulgaria, and Kohler finishing fourth in Plovdiv and at the 2018 World Rowing Cup race in Lucerne, Switzerland.
New to the award’s list, the Sustainability Award recognizes those who endeavor to safeguard the environment in which rowing takes place and help their local environment. Schuylkill Navy/Head of the Schuylkill’s Zero Waste and Zero Litter “Love Where You Row” Initiative focuses on the love and desire to protect and enhance the Schuylkill River. The Head of the Schuylkill is an official Philadelphia Zero Waste and Litter Event and strives for zero single-use plastic water bottles at the regatta by providing free reusable water bottles and Philadelphia water refill stations.
Public nominations drew over 1,000 submissions for this year’s awards. The nominations then went to World Rowing’s expert nominations panel and individual judging panels before the finalists were decided by the FISA Executive Committee.
Finalists for the 2018 World Rowing Awards
Women’s Crew of the Year
- Caileigh Filmer, Hillary Janssens, Canada, Women’s pair
- Sanita Puspure, Ireland, Women’s single sculls
- Agnieszka Kobus-Zawojska, Marta Wieliczko, Maria Springwald, Katarzyna Zillmann, Poland, Women’s quadruple sculls
Men’s Crew of the Year
- Joshua Hicks, Spencer Turrin, Jack Hargreaves, Alexander Hill, Australia, Men’s four
- Jason Osborne, Germany, Lightweight men’s single sculls
- Johannes Weissenfeld, Felix Wimberger, Maximilian Planer, Torben Johannesen, Jakob Schneider, Malte Jakschik, Richard Schmidt, Hannes Ocik, Martin Sauer (coxswain), Germany, Men’s eight
- Paul O’Donovan, Gary O’Donovan, Ireland, Lightweight men’s double sculls
Para-rowing Crew of the Year
- Perle Bouge, France, Para PR2 women’s single sculls
- Ellen Buttrick, Grace Clough, Oliver Stanhope, Daniel Brown, Erin Wysocki-Jones (coxswain), Great Britain, Para PR3 mixed coxed four
- Annika van der Meer, Corne de Koning, Netherlands, Para PR2 mixed double sculls
Coach of the Year
- Uwe Bender, Germany, Men’s eight
- Dominic Casey, Ireland, Men’s pair, lightweight men’s and women’s double sculls, lightweight men’s quadruple sculls
- Jan Klerks, Netherlands, Para-rowing team
- Laurel Korholz, United States, Women’s four, women’s single sculls
2018 Sustainability Award
- “Pushing for a Clean Sweep”, National Schools Regatta, Great Britain
- “Partnership with Waikato Water Authority”, Rowing NZ, New Zealand
- “Love Where you Row”, Alan Robinson/Schuylkill Navy, United States
The winners will be announced on Friday, November 23, 2018, at the World Rowing Awards dinner in Berlin, Germany. This will be held during the 2018 World Rowing Sports Medicine, Science and Coaches Conference, and 2018 FISA National Federations Conference.