Call for USRowing Annual Award Nominations
By Genevieve Carrillo • July 7, 2017
Recognizing excellence in our sport is a long-standing tradition, passed down through generations of rowers. Over the years, significant personalities in rowing have been immortalized through named honors, trophies and medals. Many of those significant awards will be presented at the 2017 Golden Oars Awards Dinner on November 15 and at the USRowing Annual Convention on November 30.
To submit a nomination for the 2017 board selected-awards, email the name of the nominee, name of person submitting the nomination, the award for which the person is being nominated and a brief description of the nominee’s credentials and why he or she is deserving of the award (500 words or fewer).
Award categories include:
- Man of the Year
- Criteria: Awarded in recognition of outstanding contributions to men’s rowing and/or to an outstanding man in rowing.
- Ernestine Bayer Award (Formerly Woman of the Year)
- Criteria: Awarded in recognition of outstanding contributions to women’s rowing and/or to an outstanding woman in rowing.
- The Clayton W. Chapman Award
- Criteria: Awarded to an outstanding individual who emulates Clayton Chapman’s 30-year stewardship of the Eastern Sprints and IRA Championships. This person will have consistently served behind the scenes in unrecognized, but important roles, in staging a regatta. The individual may be an athlete, coach, referee, administrator, volunteer or regatta organizer.
- John J. Carlin Service Award
- Criteria: Awarded to honor an individual who has made significant and outstanding commitments in support of rowing.
- Jack Kelly Award
- Criteria: Awarded to an outstanding individual who represents the ideals that Jack Kelly exemplified: superior achievements in rowing, service to amateur athletics, and success in their chosen profession, thereby serving as an inspiration to American rowers
- USRowing Medal of Honor
- Criteria: Awarded to a member of the rowing community in the U.S. who has rendered conspicuous service to, or accomplished extraordinary feats in, rowing. It is the highest honor USRowing can bestow.
- Anita DeFrantz Award for Advancing Diversity in Rowing
- Criteria: Awarded to an individual or organization achieving measurable success in expanding diversity opportunities in rowing.
- Isabel Bohn Award for Achievement in Adaptive Rowing
- Criteria: Awarded to an individual or organization achieving measurable success in expanding rowing opportunities for those with physical and intellectual disabilities.
Nominations for Referee Awards should be submitted as instructed in the USRowing Referee Internal Operating Procedures. The Jack Franklin Award will be presented at the 2017 Golden Oars Gala. The nomination deadline is August 1, 2017. For more information and past award winners, click here.
Fan’s Choice Awards
Information on the nominating process for the Fan’s Choice Awards will be available September 2017.
Club of the Year Award
Nominations for the USRowing Club of the Year Award, which is based on a points system, are due October 13, 2017.