A Letter from the Board of Directors
By USRowing Staff • March 14, 2017
To the USRowing Community; teammates, coaches, referees, parents, and athletes:
Spring is just around the corner bringing the promise of warmer weather and the excitement and rush of racing season. There is nothing quite like lining up at the start, going toe-to-toe with a formidably fast crew, testing yourself and the work you put in all winter. After putting in hours upon hours of preparation in the weight room, tanks, and on the rowing machines, it is time to perform. This will be your year.
Personally, I have always relished the renewal and opportunity that the transition from Winter to Spring promises. Separate from my individual training and pursuit of making a fifth U.S. national team, I have been working hard alongside the rest of the Board of Directors, staff, and volunteers to make 2017 a year of incredible growth and new heights for USRowing.
The Board remains committed to executing on our strategic plan and goals we identified last December to focus on for 2017. In no priority order, they are:
- Grow revenue
- Balance the budget
- Grow membership
- Improve our high performance system
- Increase service quality
- Improve our referee program
As promised in January, the Board has taken a methodical approach over the past two months to putting key people and initiatives in place during the transition:
- The Board appointed its CEO Search Committee to assist in the identification and evaluation of candidates.
- After an extensive and exhaustive appointment process led by our Nominating Committee, four new Directors joined us to fill out the USRowing Board of Directors.
- The new High Performance Committee was named, with Rob Milam appointed as Chair.
- The Board completed its review of the High Performance Task Force Report and will be sharing a public summary by next week.
- The 2017 Senior Team Selection Procedures have been finalized and posted. If you haven’t heard yet, the United States will be hosting the 2017 World Championships in Sarasota, Fla. for the first time in 23 years. It is truly an exciting time for our sport.
This weekend (March 18-19th) the Board of Directors will have our quarterly in-person meeting in Princeton, New Jersey. USRowing Board meetings are always open to the public and I want to formally invite any and all of our community members who wish to attend. The meetings will be held at the Princeton Westin at Forrestal Village from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Saturday and 8 a.m.-10 a.m. on Sunday. As is customary at our March meetings, we will be electing the new Board officers. We hope to see you there.
2017 USRowing Board of Directors March 18-19th Meeting details:
Princeton Westin at Forrestal Village
Conference Room: Middlesex Room
201 Village Boulevard
Princeton, NJ, 08540
USRowing Board of Directors Interim President