Nominees Announced for the 78th Annual MTR Western Sports Star of the Year
December 03, 2012
Mary Whipple and University of Washington Men's Rowing Nominated for Award
SEATTLE – The Seattle Sports Commission (SSC) today announces the nominees for the 78th Annual MTR Western Sports Star of the Year, the Northwest’s premier celebration of Washington sports. Every January, this event honors the athletes, coaches, media figures, sports executives, and stories in or from Washington state for their achievements during the previous year.
Since its creation in 1936, there have been nearly 100 Sports Stars honored at this event. Once an individual has been named a Sports Star, they become part of an elite ensemble, grouped with some of the most notable sports icons in our region’s history.
Nominees are selected by the Sports Star Committee, which is compiled of local sports historians, media and others active in the sports industry. Fans can vote for their favorite nominee in the Professional, Male, Female and Sports Story of the Year categories online at www.sportsstaroftheyear.org. The public is encouraged to vote beginning Monday, December 3, 2012 at 2pm PST through Friday, January 18, 2013 at 5pm PST. Winners will be announced during the event on Friday, January 25, 2013 at Benaroya Hall.
Nominees for Professional Sports Star of the Year:
• Alex Morgan (Sounders Women FC)
• Marshawn Lynch (Seattle Seahawks)
• Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC)
• Kasey Kahne (NASCAR)
• Ryan Villopoto (Supercross)
Nominees for the Male Sports Star of the Year:
• Nathan Adrian (USA Swimming)
• Austin Seferian-Jenkins (University of Washington Football)
• Chris Williams (University of Washington Golf)
• Drew Snider (University of Maryland Lacrosse)
• David DeCastro (Stanford University Football)
Nominees for the Female Sports Star of the Year:
• Mary Whipple (USRowing)
• Ariana Kukors (USA Swimming)
• Katie Flood (University of Washington Cross Country and Track)
• Marti Malloy (USA Judo)
• Jennie Reed (USA Cycling) Nominees for the Sports Story of the Year:
• The Mariners’ Felix Hernandez throws perfect game.
• The University of Washington Men’s Rowing completes unbeaten season and sweeps the IRA Championships.
• Montesano High football goes from fire to state title.
• Bellevue High Football wins 10th State Championship.
• The Western Washington University Basketball team wins the Division II national championship.
Tickets to the show can be purchased at the Benaroya Hall Box Office, at www.benaroyahall.org, or by calling 206-215-4747. Premium tickets are $100, reserved are $80 and include access to the show and the VIP reception. Show-only tickets can be purchased for $35.
To learn more about the MTR Western Sports Star of the Year, visit www.sportsstaroftheyear.org.
# # #
Seattle Sports Commission
The Seattle Sports Commission (SSC) is committed to making Seattle a world-class sports community. Sports can bring the world to Seattle and bring our region together. A strong sports culture can strengthen local businesses, local kids, and local pride. www.seattlesports.org
Seattle Sports Commission