2019 USRowing Youth Regional Challenge
Take on your peers from across the country at the 2019 USRowing Youth Challenge on November 20-24 at Nathan Benderson Park in Sarasota-Bradenton, Fla. Now two years out from the successful inaugural challenge held in conjunction with the 2017 World Rowing Championships, this year’s event will bring together 432 athletes and 36 coaches from USRowing’s six regions for a three-day camp and regatta. Thursday and Friday will include multiple practice sessions, while Saturday’s racing will feature time trials beginning at 7:30 a.m. and finals starting at noon.
Are you a youth rower with a birth year of 2002 or younger? If so, join us in Sarasota!
USRowing is seeking athletes to boat the following events from each of our six regions to compete at the 2019 edition of the USRowing Youth Regional Challenge:
- U18 Women’s 8+, 4+. 4x, 2-, 2x, 1x
- U18 Men’s 8+, 4+. 4x, 2-, 2x, 1x
- U17 Men’s 8+, 4x
- U17 Men’s 8+, 4x
Why do you want to be part of this amazing and unique experience?
This is the kick-off event for a new series of USRowing U19, U18 and U17 Olympic Development Program (ODP) Identification Camps across the country. The ODP camps are designed to identify talented athletes at the U19, U18 and U17 levels with potential to grow within the system and be a part of challenging, developmentally-appropriate opportunities.
The third-annual USRowing Youth Regional Challenge will feature top under 18 rowers from across the country racing on a world-class race course in Sarasota, Fla. All USRowing ODP camps are instructional with a focus on providing insight into what is required of our best rowers and coxswains and the tools to achieve success at the international level. Our highly-qualified coaching staff will work hard to demonstrate ways the athletes can improve and help athletes discover that the under 19 national team is both attainable and fun.
Each participant will:
- Have the opportunity to represent their region and compete against other top under 18 rowers from across the country;
- Attend sessions on “ The Path to the Under 19 National Team,” Q&A with former under 19 national team members who went on to become under 23 and senior national team athletes, strength training and nutrition;
- Race twice on a world-class race course in a time trial-to-finals format;
- Have a chance to receive medals, which are awarded to the top three (3) finishers in each event;
- Receive all local bus transportation including to/from either Bradenton or Tampa airports;
- Receive all breakfasts, as well as end-of-event BBQ celebration dinner on the beach; and
- Receive team housing in a local Sarasota hotel.
Applicants are expected to have a current USRowing Basic+ Regatta Package or Championship membership to participate and must provide their own travel arrangements to the Sarasota-Bradenton regional area.
Check back soon for more information on applying to this experience of a lifetime!