USRowing’s Under 19 Olympic Development Program Information
What is the Olympic Development Program?
USRowing’s ODP is evolving into a multi-phased approach, identifying talented, age-based athletes with the potential to grow within the system and providing them with challenging, developmentally-appropriate opportunities across the country. Over the next few years, the program will expand to all levels of national team development from U17 through the senior national team, creating an overall connection for the athletes.
This year, our top U17 athletes and select U18 athletes showing great promise, are invited to take part in the new USRowing U19 ODP camps. These three-week, curriculum driven camps will be hosted in each of USRowing’s six regions and focus on developing the mindset and skill needed for success within the Olympic system. The camps will be capped-off with a culminating event, the ODP Summer Cup to be held in Sarasota, Fla. the week of July 7-14.
Participants in the USRowing U19 ODP program have the opportunity to develop as athletes, receive quality instruction, be exposed to regional, collegiate and national team coaches, race against top-level competition, and represent their region in competition.
Each ODP Summer Camp Offers:
- On-the-water instruction with focus on technical improvements necessary for boat moving ability.
- Sessions in 4+’s, 2-’s, 2x’s and 1x’s to help athletes develop better boat sense and become more well-rounded rowers. This is an ideal camp to develop high-performance athletes who need to create a better boat sense while also providing small boat experience.
- Education on how to deal with the stress of selection, while placed alongside other highly motivated and competitive individuals.
- Invaluable education in nutrition, strength training, sports psychology, positive social media and SafeSport principles.
What are the Benefits of Participating in USRowing ODP?
1. Development as an athlete. The opportunity to train and socialize with the best athletes in one’s age group.
2. Quality instruction from USRowing certified coaches.
3. Quality competition. The ODP Summer Cup will bring together the top junior rowers in the country.
4. Exposure to regional and national team coaches.
5. The opportunity to represent one’s region in competition.
6. Exposure to college coaches invited to the ODP Summer Cup.
Regional Camp Hosts, Camp Locations and Contacts:
- NorthWest: Rogue Rowing, Ashland, Ore. – Rick Brown, email@example.com (men and women)
- SouthWest: Sarasota, Fla. (Hosted by Sarasota Crew) – Mike Irwin, firstname.lastname@example.org (men), Claire Kuehnel, email@example.com (women)
- Mid-West/Central: McCallie School, Chattanooga, Tenn. – Sean McCourt, firstname.lastname@example.org (men), Matt Grau, email@example.com (women)
- SouthEast: Sarasota Crew, Sarasota, Fla. (men), Bolles School, Jacksonville, Fla. (women) – Caitlynn Crouch, firstname.lastname@example.org (men), Chris Register, email@example.com (women)
- NorthEast: Saratoga Rowing Association, Saratoga, N.Y. – Mike Wenker firstname.lastname@example.org (men), Eric Gehrke, email@example.com (women)
- Mid-Atlantic: St. Joseph’s Prep, Philadelphia, Pa. – John Fife, firstname.lastname@example.org (men), John Cohn, email@example.com (women)
Dates: June 15 – July 14
Cost: $5,395 ($3,390 – Camp Fee + $2,005 ODP Summer Cup/Travel Fee)
Athlete Ages: Birth year of 2002 and younger
Highlights: On-the-water instruction will focus on technical improvements necessary for boat moving ability. Sessions in 4+’s, 2-’s, 2x’s and 1x’s help develop better boat sense and become more well-rounded rowers. This is an ideal camp to develop high-performance athletes who need to create a better boat sense while also providing small boat experience. The program educates athletes on how to deal with the stress of selection, while placing them alongside other highly motivated and competitive individuals.
Number of Rowers: A goal of about 28 rowers and 3 coxswains per camp.
Goal: Provide a high-level camp environment for athletes seen as having the potential to contribute to the national team in future years.
These camps are invitation only. To apply for an invitation, complete either the U19 Men’s or Women’s Data Submission Form below.
ODP Exclusive Summer Cup Festival
Yes, there will be racing within the ODP summer camps! As part of the program, athletes will compete in the inaugural Olympic Development Program Summer Cup. There is no other event like this! Athletes and their regional camps will fly to Sarasota, Fla. for one week, where opportunities will include assessment by Under 19 national team selection camp coaches, feedback to maximize opportunities within the U19 national team program, training, and a chance to line up at the start line against some of the best competition in the country. Competitions will be held for both sweep and sculling events.
Additionally, the 2019 CanAmMex Regatta is also being held in Sarasota during the same week as our Summer Cup. This means you will be able to watch high-caliber international racing, while being able to spend time with national team coaches.
Which region has this year’s fastest junior rowers? We’ll find out this July!
National TeamU19 Women's 2019 Data and Information SubmissionPlease (re)submit this form every time you want to update the U19 Coaching Staff with new scores, height/weight, or other information.
National TeamU19 Men's 2019 Data and Information SubmissionPlease (re)submit this form every time you want to update the U19 Coaching Staff with new scores, height/weight, or other information.